The Differences Between ‘Organic’ and ‘Non-GMO’

1 Flares Filament.io 1 Flares ×

organic-1341558__340The Differences Between ‘Organic’ and ‘Non-GMO’ by Chris Bekermeier

In the world of “clean eating,” it’s easy to blur the lines from one category to the next. You have locally sourced, farm to table, gluten-free, sugar-free, sweetener-free — the list goes on and on.

One of the more common mix-ups is between “organic” and “non-GMO” labeling. While the two share similar principles, they are actually very different categories. Depending on the specific reasons a person chooses one diet over the other, those differences can be important.

It all comes down to understanding the labels and the nuances that come with them.

Confused about your food labeling? Check out this following explaining Organic vs. Non-GMO labels. (tweet this)

Understanding the Terminology

One of the problems with distinguishing between organic and non-GMO is that advocates for both tend to claim the mantle of being “natural.” However, no guidelines currently exist to define what is and isn’t natural. It’s best to steer away from that kind of thinking if you want to fully understand what organic and non-GMO actually mean.

A basic understanding of the two categories will help point you to the label you need. Here’s a simple rundown.

Organic. Organic essentially means that all ingredients — including livestock — have not been exposed to chemicals, synthetic substances or irradiation. That includes antibiotics that are commonly used in commercial livestock. It’s worth noting that there are varying degrees of “organic” certification, ranging from 100 percent organic to products made with specific organic ingredients. More on that in the labeling section.

Non-GMO. GMO stands for genetically modified organism. While the definition of “genetically modified” is still being debated, GMO tends to refer to animals or plants whose genetic makeup has been specifically altered for the purpose of food production. Non-GMO products reflect growing and production methods that do not rely on such methods.

Is There Any Overlap?

Yes, and that can add to the confusion.

Broadly speaking, what qualifies as organic must also qualify as non-GMO, but non-GMO does not have to qualify as organic. That said, to qualify as non-GMO, a product must undergo more rigorous testing and inspections throughout the entire food production process.

What Should I Look for in a Label?

Here are a few guidelines for understanding these labels:

Organic. You should be able to identify an organic product right away, as the USDA requires it to be placed on the “principal display panel,” or the portion of the package most likely to be seen by the customer. It also must be listed on the information panel, where you find product ingredients listed. The four categories of organic include:

o 100 Percent Organic. As the label suggests, this is the “purest” form of organic. Every ingredient within the product must be certified as organic.

o Organic. This label indicates that the product is at least 95 percent organic. The remaining 5 percent might cover specific ingredients that aren’t commercially available as organic.

o Made With Organic _____. The minimum limit here is 70 percent organic ingredients, and up to three ingredients or ingredient categories may be listed under the label.

o Specific Ingredient Listing. This label covers products that fall under 70 percent organic but still have specific organic ingredients included.

Non-GMO. While this label is not government-issued, it is licensed to the Non-GMO Project. As such, the verification seal is subject to that group’s guidelines. Other groups might use such terms as GMO-free, although Non-GMO Project is the category’s standard-bearer.

Overall, it’s a complex lexicon, but it’s one that food manufacturers in that space understand very well. The label itself will help guide you, but when in doubt, check with the specific food manufacturer to better understand process and labeling behind organic and non-GMO. Check out the accompanying guide from PacMoore for more information.

 

Author bio:

Chris Bekermeier is Vice President of Marketing at PacMoore, a food contract manufacturer that offers food processing and packaging services. Chris received his B.S. in business management from Eastern Illinois University, and his M.B.A. from the University of Chicago.

1 Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 0 LinkedIn 0 Pin It Share 1 Email -- Google+ 0 Filament.io 1 Flares ×

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>